This Visitors' Guide is designed to make your stay with us more convenient and enjoyable. In it you will find information about area services, attractions and entertainment, including regional maps, phone numbers and directions. Whether your stay with us is brief or extended, we hope you will take advantage of the many exciting things Branford and the surrounding region have to offer. Enjoy your stay!
Click on a link for more information
Located in south central Connecticut, on the north shore of Long Island Sound, five miles east of New Haven, Branford offers much to see and experience. Try a boat tour of the Thimble Islands - reputed burial site of Captain Kidd's famous treasure. Stroll through the picturesque town center. Take a ride down memory lane at the Trolley Museum. Or stroll along one of the town's many beautiful beaches. New York City and Boston are within easy reach by rail, bus or car. World-famous casinos are just an hour away. And if excellent dining is your goal, look no further than Branford's superb restaurants. Whatever you're looking for, you'll find it in Branford! (Yahoo Maps)
Nestled in the heart of downtown New Haven, this upscale AAA Four-Diamond hotel basks in a city that combines New England appeal with contemporary culture. Located close to Yale University, Union Square Metro Line and Amtrak connections. Onsite conceirge service available. Omni is centrally located next to several restaurants, clubs, a movie theatre and the Shubert playhouse. Complimentary high speed Internet access available in all rooms.
Be sure to ask for the Westbrook Technologies preferred rate of $149.
The Holiday Inn Express Branford Hotel. Hotel features include complimentary continental breakfast and free local phone calls.
Enjoy a unique breakfast experience at our new Express Start Breakfast Bar served every morning featuring a selection of fruits, juices, cereals, breads/pastries, and even hardboiled eggs. We have also created the world's best tasting cinnamon roll.
Be sure to ask for the Westbrook Technologies preferred rate of $89.99.
Recent $2.4 million renovation to hotel rooms and facility with a new Houlahan's restaurant in the hotel. Voted Connecticut's best Holiday Inn.
List of amenities include a full service restaurant and lounge, free continental breakfast and drink for Priority Club Members, indoor pool, sauna, outdoor deck and bar, charming courtyard, laundry valet service (M-F), exercise room, 24 hr fax, free parking, exceptional meeting and banquet facilities, and the most comfortable guest accommodations. Distance: 13 miles.
Be sure to ask for the Westbrook Technologies preferred rate of $97.
The Comfort Inn is conveniently located at exit 59 off I-95 in Guilford. This is a brand new hotel centrally located near shops and restaurants. It is recommended that you purchase a rental car to get to and from Westbrook University. Distance: approx 10 miles.
The Comfort Inn® hotel is ideally located in Guilford with close proximity to New Haven where visitors can enjoy the Peabody Museum, the Connecticut Children's Museum, Yale University, Gillette Castle State Park and the Hyland House. Facing the Long Island Sound, Guilford provides a terrific blend of a historical atmosphere with close proximity to Rhode Island, New York and New Haven. Because of its location, this Guilford hotel offers visitors a multitude of activities to enjoy while basking in the tranquility of a waterfront city. Enjoy a trip through scenic Route 77, offering wonderful landscape throughout the year. Marvel at the views of the Long Island Sound along Route 146. Bird watchers can revel in the Anne Conover Nature Trail, featuring over 235 acres of tidal wetlands.
Be sure to ask for the Westbrook Technologies preferred rate of $89.
The Residence Inn by Marriott is conveniently located at exit 46 off I-95 in New Haven and is New Haven’s only all-suite hotel, with 50% larger rooms that include a fully equipped kitchen, living room area, daily complimentary " hot" breakfast buffet, Guests Manager's Social every Monday - Thursday (heavy appetizers with complimentary beverages), complimentary van service Monday - Friday and daily housekeeping. Distance: approx 5 miles. Be sure and ask for Westbrook Technologies preferred room rates- Studio Single (one queen bed) $109/per night, Penthouse (Bi-level room w/2 queen beds, two full baths) $139-$159/per night
Be sure to ask for the Westbrook Technologies preferred rate of $109 (Studio Single, one queen bed), or $139-$159 (Penthouse, bi-level with two queen beds and two full baths).
By the Sea's overnight guests enjoy beautifully furnished rooms with mile-high, pillow-endowed and quilted beds, lace window treatments and private baths and showers. This is a true B&B where a general living room is provided for guests as well as continental breakfast, family style. Distance: 2 ½ miles Approximate Rate: $100/night
Directly on I-95, noisy and not the best area, but convenient. Guestroom amenities include a well-lit work desk, voice mail, data ports, remote-controlled TV with free cable, iron and ironing board. 8 Floors, 146 Rooms, 6 Suites, TV, Outdoor pool and fitness center. Distance: 5 miles Approximate Rate: $74
Just off I-95 at Exit 41, Courtyard surrounds travelers with the conveniences that make business and pleasure travel easy. 121 spacious guest rooms feature a comfortable sitting area, large work desk, two phones with data ports, and in-room coffee service. Distance: 10 miles Approximate Rate: $100-$145
The Guilford Suites is similar to a Hampton Inn built in 1987 - 32 multi-room suites, refrigerator, microwave, TV and a/c. Distance: 12 miles Approximate Rate: $110
Nestled on a quite cove, on the beach in Madison with beautiful sunsets, great dinning, and bar scene. Each room has a balcony with breath-taking views of Long Island Sound. The Wharf restaurant serving full entrees as well as pub food and is the perfect place to unwind after a long day. Distance: 17 miles. Call for current rates **Closed from January 1st – March 31
Charming, country inn on the beach. Walk to Madison town green with excellent restaurants and beautiful ocean views. The Dolly Madison has11 rooms, restaurant, lounge, entertainment, TV and use of private beach. Distance: 17 miles. Call for current rates.
Water's Edge Resort is a classic, turn-of-the-century New England shoreline estate with all the amenities and conveniences of a full service resort. Definitely the nicest accommodations on the CT shoreline. Outdoor bar, spa facilities, renovated gorgeous rooms … the Four Season’s of the shoreline. The closest you get to being on vacation. Distance: 25 miles Call for current rates.
- Bradley International Airport (Hartford/Windsor Locks) 860-292-2000 (map)
- JFK International Airport (New York) (map)
- LaGuardia Airport (NewYork) (map)
- Logan Airport (Boston, MA) (map)
- T.F. Green Airport (Providence, RI) (888)-268-7222 (map)
- Tweed New Haven Regional Airport (New Haven) 203-787-8283 (map)
- Westchester Airport (New York) 914-995-4860 (map)
- New Haven Savings Bank, 1026 Main Street 483-1713 (map)
- Big Y Supermarkets, 1060 West Main Street (Branhaven Plaza) (203) 481-9671 (map)
- Sovereign Bank, 471 East Main Street (map)
- Webster Bank, 1 South Main St (Walk Up), Branford 315-4190 (map)
- Webster Bank, 260 Main St., (Drive Through) East Haven 468-5000 (map)
- Bank of New Haven, Summit Place, Branford (map)
Daily sightseeing tours of the Thimble Islands. Departing from Stony Creek. Each narrated tour is approximately 45 minutes. Call for schedules.
- Connecticut Sea Ventures, New Haven, 397-3921
- Sea Mist II, 34 Sachem Road, 488-8905 (map)
- Volsunga IV, 481-3345
- Boat Rentals, Colvin Yachts Carson's Landing, - Sailboats 22 to 36 feet , Old Saybrook (860) 399-7300
Connecticut Transit, 640 James Street, 624-0151
- Delcos Motors, 302 East Main Street, 483-1235 (map)
- Sensible Car Rental, 13 North Main Street, 481-2713 (map)
- Foxwoods Resort Casino, Exit 95 off I-95, Ledyard, (800) 572-9244 (map)
- Mohegan Sun Casino, Exit 79A off I-395, Uncasville, (888) 226-7711 (map)
- Clinton Crossing Mall (upscale outlet center), 20A Killingworth Tpke., Clinton, (Exit 63/I-95 North) 860-664-0700 (map)
- Crystal Mall, I-95: Exit 82 on Rte. 85 N, Waterford, CT, 860-442-8500 (map)
- Kohl's Department Store, 1075 West Main Street (Branhaven Plaza) 481-2700 (map)
- T.J. Maxx, 68 Frontage Road, East Haven (next to Holiday Inn Express), 466-3327 (map)
- Walmart, 120 Commercial Parkway, 488-4106 (map)
- Westbrook Factory Stores, 314 Flat Rock Place, Westbrook (map)
- Westfield Shoppingtown Connecticut Post, 1201 Boston Post Road, Milford, CT 6460 (map)
- Branford Cleaners, 275 Main Street, 488-8866 (map)
- Professional Dry Cleaners, 15 Park Place, 488-2385 (map)
- Washington Cleaners, 622 Main Street, 483-0382 (map)
- Myers Flower Shops, 869 est Main Street, 481-2381 (map)
- Floral Expressions, 243 North Main Street, 488-8514 (map)
- Branford Book & Card Shoppe, 1020 Main Street, 488-5975 (map)
- Cindy's Hallmark, 1060 Main Street, 488-8994 (map)
In-Shape Fitness Center, 89 North Main St., 481-0774 (map)
(Raquetball, basketball, aerobics, sauna, strength training and cardiovascular equipment)
Westbrook Technologies visitors receive 50% off on guest passes ($5.00, normally $10.00)
- First Impressions Unisex Hair Cutters, 607 West Main Street, 488-3697 Walk-ins welcome (map)
- Paul & Company Hair, Skin & Body, 97 Montowese Street, 488-7922 (map)
- Super Cuts, 1060 West Main (Branhaven Plaza), 481-8336 (map)
Harrison House, 124 Main Street, 488-4828 (map)
A 1724 saltbox, restored and maintained by the Branford Historical Society. Decorated with period pieces and furniture. On two acres with garden and barn. Free admission.
- Coastline Medical Center, 9 Business Park Drive, 481-0818 (map) Monday-Friday 9 a.m. - 8 p.m. Saturday-Sunday 9 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Saint Raphael's Hospital, 1450 Chapel Street, New Haven (map) Main 789-3000
- Yale New Haven Hospital, 20 York Street, New Haven (map) Main 688-2000, Emergency 688-2222
- Ashley's Ice Cream, 1018 Main Street, 481-5558 (map)
- Ice Cream Works, 605 West Main Route 1, 481-1100 (map)
- Blackstone Memorial Library, 758 Main Street, 488-1441 (map)
- New Haven Public Library, 133 Elm Street, New Haven, 946-8130 (map)
- Connecticut Limousine, Long Wharf Street, New Haven (map)
- The Way to Go Limousine, 53 School Ground Road, 488-5635 (map)
- Branford Wine Shop, 4 Brushy Plain Road, 483-1956 (map)
- Summit Package Store, 601 West Main Street, 481-2171 (map)
- Johnny's Package Store, 396 Short Beach Road, East Haven, 468-7976 (map)
- Branford Nail & Body Spa, 215 East Main,488-9881 (map)
- The Right Look, 904 West Main, 488-4233 (map)
- Eli Whitney Museum, 915 Whitney Avenue, Hamden, 777-1833 (map)
- Peabody Museum of Natural History, 170 Whitney Avenue, New Haven, 432-5050 (map)
- Trolley Museum, 17 River Street, East Haven, 467-6927 (map)
- Yale Art Gallery, 1111 Chaple Street, New Haven, 432-0600 (map)
- Yale Center for British Art, 1080 Chaple Street, New Haven, 432-2800 (map)
- Westbrook has Notary Publics on staff, check with the receptionist for availability,
- The Village Express, 1204 Main Street, 481-7426 (map)
The Vision Center, 845 West Main Street, 488-2082 (map)
Eye exams, eyewear, walk-ins accepted
- Foote Memorial Park (D6) Playing field, tennis courts, basketball courts, jogging course
- Hammer Field (D4) Playing field, basketball court, playground
- Parker Memorial Park (B7) Swimming, picnicking
- Supply Pond Park (D1) Playing field, fishing, boating, hiking, picnicking
- Veteran's Memorial Park (B1) Playing field, tennis courts, basketball court.
- Young's Pond Park (G5) Playing field, fishing, hiking, picnicking, ice skating
- Boat Launching Area (A7)
- CVS, 2-6 Short Beach Road (next to Branhaven Plaza), 488-4372 (map)
- Towne Pharmacy, 1012 Main Street, 488-1631 (map)
- Walgreens, 329 East Main Street (accross from Branhaven Plaza), 481-0386
- Amtrak 50 Union Avenue, New Haven, (800) 872-7245 (map)
New York City-Penn Station to Boston Service to Hartford and Springfield
- Metro North 50 Union Avenue, New Haven, (800) 638-7646 (map)
New York City-Grand Central
- Branford Townhouse Diner, 91 North Main, 483-9477 (map)
- Dunkin Donuts, 858 West Main, 488-7402 (map)
- Dunkin Donuts, 91 Frontage, East Haven, 203-466-3800 (map)
- Meadow Muffins Restaurant, 201 Meadow Street, 481-4198 (map)
- Parthenon Diner, 374 East Main, 481-0333 (map)
- Twin Pines Diner, 34 Main Street, 468-6887 (map)
- Waiting Station, 1048 Main, 488-5176 (map)
- Rib House, 16 Main, East Haven, 468-6695 (map)
- Twin Pines Diner, 34 Main, East Haven, 468-6887 (map)
- Webster's, 1114 Main Street, 488-8161 (map)
- Che Tango, 130 Shore Dr., 481-0102 (map)
Bar and Grill
- Anna Liffays Irish Pub & Grill, 17 Whitney, New Haven, 773-1776 (map)
- Archie Moore's, 188 1/2 Willow Street, New Haven, 773-9870 (map)
- Chili's Grill & Bar, 58 Frontage, East Haven, 467-1533 (map)
- Christopher Martins Restaurant & Pub, 860 State, New Haven, 776-8835 (map)
- Tommy Sullivan's Cafe, 240 N Main Street, 488-8454 (map)
- China Garden Buffet 1060 West Main, 488-8888 (map)
- Fortune Village, 120 North Main Street, 481-3568 (map)
- Lion City Chinese Restaurant, 4 Brushy Plain Road (Brushy Hill Plaza), 481-7474 (map)
- Common Gounds, 1096 Main Street, 488-2326
- French Le Petit Cafe, 225 Montowese, 483-9791 (map)
- Starbucks, 6 N Main St, 483-1260 (map)
- Jersey Mike's Subs, 845 West Main Street, 481-8050 (map)
- P & M Fine Food Delicatessen, 401 Main Street, 488-6183 (map)
- Subway, 2 Commercial Pkwy, Branford, 481-0467 (map)
- Boston Market, 96 Frontage Road, 467-4472 (map)
- Burger King, map)
- McDonald's, 424 West Main Street, 488-9353 (map)
- Wendy's, 1016 West Main Street, 488-9136 (map)
- Ashley's Ice Cream, 1018 Main Street, 481-5558 (map)
- Ice Cream Works, 605 West Main Route 1, 481-1100 (map
- Darbar India, 1070 Main, 481-8994 (map)
- IL Forno Restaurant, 765 West Main, 488-0573 (map)
- Pasta Fair, 420 East Main, 488-9437 (map)
- Tony & Lucilles Little Italy, 150 Wooster, New Haven, 787-1621 (map)
- Tre Scalini (Northern Italian Dishes), 100 Wooster, New Haven, 777-3373 (map)
- Jalapeno Heaven, 40 North Main, 481-6759 (map)
- Margaritas, 377 East Main, 483-7557 (map)
- Su Casa, 400 East Main, 481-5001 (map)
- Siam Orchids, 899 West Main, 483-6993 (map)
- Libby's, 139 Wooster Street, New Haven, CT,(203) 772-0380 (map)
- Judie's European Baked Goods, 126 Shore Drive, 488-2257 (map)
- Pasticceria & Caffe Ciccone, 576 Main, 488-8513 (map)
- Abate Pizza & Restaurant, 382 East Main, 481-9996 (map)
- Born in America, 4 Brushy Plain Road (Brushy Hill Plaza), 483-0211 (map)
- IL Forno Restaurant, 765 West Main, 488-0573 (map)
- Nina's Pizza Restaurant, 1195 Main Street (map)
- Pepe's, 157 Wooster Street, New Haven, 865-5762 (map)
Pepe's is acknowledged as one of the first pizzeria in America, continuously operated by the same family since it first opened in the early years of this century. It established the now-famous Wooster Street-style pizza, which even brings New York City pizza aficionados on regular pilgrimages to this popular spot. If the waiting line is too long, as it often is, try Sali's or Abate nearby on the same block. You can't miss-each of these restaurants has its own fierce loyalists.
Pepe & Rose Pizzeria, 1 Jefferson, Branford, 483-5232 (map)
- Beach Head Restaurant, (evenings only) 3 Cosey Beach Ave, East Haven, 469-5450 (map)
- Donovan's Reef, 1212 Main Street, 488-5573 (map)
- Lenny's Indian Head Inn, 205 South Montowese, 488-1500 (map)
- Dockside (Seasonal), Block Island Road, 488-3007 (map)
- U.S.S. Chowder Pot III, 560 Main Street, 481-2356 (map)
- Rustic Oak, 165 Washington, North Haven, 239-1107 (map)
- Tenderloin Steak House Llc, 2 E Main Street, 481-1414 (map)
- Laurel View, 310 West Shepard Avenue, Hamden, 287-2656 (map)
Laurel View is a full 18-hole course in the scenic hills of Hamden. The front nine has wide, long holes that can be walked. The back has challenging hills, turns and blind greens that is best enjoyed with a cart. Directions: Exit 10 off of 91 - Rt 40 connector to end, take left onto Whitney Avenue (Rt 10) and follow south to 4th light and take right on Dixwell Avenue. Follow to 3rd light and take right on Shepard Avenue, continue to 3rd light and take left on West Shepard Avenue. Follow signs Laural View public golf course-entrance on left.
- Sleeping Giant, 3931 Whitney Avenue, Hamden, 281-9456 (map)
Sleeping Giant is a full 9-hole course with two par 3s, six par 4s and one par 5. Wide, and fairly flat, can be walked with ease. Directions: Exit 10 off of 91 - Rt 40 connector to end, take right at light (Whitney Ave.-Rt 10). Follow north, Sleeping Giant on right about 5 miles.
- Twin Lakes Golf Course, 241 Twin Lakes Road (Par 3 course), North Branford, 488-8778 (map)
- The Fairways Driving Range, 19 Tipping Drive, 481-0400 (map)
- Hiking, Swimming, Tennis (see Parks)
- Raquetball (see Gyms)
- Sailing (see Boat Rentals)
- Capello Salon & Day Spa, 251 West Main Street, 488-8594 (map)
- Mist-On-Magic Tanning, 249 West Main Street, 483-4566 (map)
- Tanning Club, 116 North Main, 481-6399 (map)
- World Suntan Studio, 15 Northeast Industrial Road, 488-8804 (map)
- Hoyts Branford, 330 East Main, 481-2711 (map)
- Showcase Cinemas, 550 Universal Drive, North Haven, 234-8000 (map)
- Shubert Performing Arts Center, 247 College Street, New Haven, 562-5666 (map)
- Long Wharf Theatre, 222 Sargent Drive, New Haven, 787-4282 (map)